Monday, November 17, 2008

my funeral

"Musings" blog prompted me to wite the following:

After my mother-in-law's funeral I decided to write down how I wanted my funeral. I made several notes on the plane ride home and then once home I organized it and wrote it all out. Songs I wanted sung, who I wanted to do what, ... actually I wrote it all out from beginning to end. It gave me a lot of satisfaction. Then I e-mailed it to the children. One family member called to ask me if I was all right. My youngest called just sobbing. She said that as she read the funeral service she realized that I wasn't dead yet and called to talk to me. We laughed at that. In her mind as she read it, it seemed so real.

Another daughter reminded me that after I am dead the children will have their chance to get their last "dig" in. I am thinking there will be laughter at my funeral.

Morbid? I don't know. It can be very calming to realize that there is order to things. I have thought about these kinds of things for a long time. I am healthy and strong. (Even though I say I am old and decrepid.) No hurry to go on my part. I will be around a while.

3 comments:

EmmaP said...

yeah-yeah...nothing new there. just please tell me you are putting your homes in a trust! We really don't want to have to do that whole probate thingy....yuck! oh and too bad you don't have any of those plastic campbell soup mugs for US to bid over once you're gone. I wonder what the hot items YOUR grandchildren will want so bad? hmmm...

Puphigirl said...

Not any time soon huh?

Well, I don't know what your grandchildren will fight over, but your children will fight over the records. The 45s in the fuschia case, the albums and such

purplehaze said...

Yeah I am sure there will be laughter as well as tears! I was watching Ghost Whisperer last Friday and they had Jim's funeral and everyone was all sad until a friend said Jim wouldn't have wanted this he would want us to be dancing to rock and roll music and so that is what they did.