Monday, November 24, 2008

I remember getting hurt at school, or at the playground, or even just playing outside. I would get up and look at the booboo and then go find Mother. I was fine, no tears or anything until I found her. Even if I had to walk the 6 blocks from school. My focus was on telling Mother. When I finally found her then the flood gates opened. I cried as I tried to tell her what had happened or what was wrong. She fixed the booboo all better then I was off again.

What I did not realize was the flip side to that. Did she worry about when I climbed the big jungle gym? Or when I learned to ride my bike? Did she lose sleep when I was away from home? Did she worry about all the hurt I would have to endure as I grew up?

I do not know and my mother is not around for me to ask. But I can tell you that I did all those things. I cringed inside as I watched the children try something new and tough, though I smiled confidently at them. I cried when they were hurt, though infront of them I tried not to cry. I tried to show them a brave face that had faith that things would turn out okay.

My Mother-in-law one time told me that you never stop being a MOM. I watched her heart break as she held her tongue when one of her children were going through a very rough time. She was there with love and support but she did not offer advice. I am not that strong. I can only hold my peace for so long and then I give the "this is what I would do" speech.

Some of my children hear that speech more than others. And some of them take it with a grain of salt, with a take it or leave it attitude. And that is fine. They are all adults and they need to live their lives. But I guess I want them to know that even if they don't take my advice I want to be helpful. They need to let me know what I can do for them. If it is possible I will do it. If I am unable to help, I might be able to guide them to who might help. The key if for them to let me know when they are needing help or going through something difficult.

I pray for them by name daily. Each and every one. I know that I cannot see what they are going through, but I know who can and does. I trust in Him for guidance. And I trust that the children will let me be a sounding board for them. I don't have to know every detail of their lives. I just want to be there when they need me.

So that being said.....What can I do to help?

4 comments:

Ruthykins said...

well, if you really want to help i could use an elliptical machine. just kidding, i can wait until tax return time for that.

purplehaze said...

That is so true. You never stop being a mother. As you know I have one grown child and as you know I am always giving my two cents! It is what we are suppose to do, because no matter how old they are you will always worry. Thanks for that. I am glad someone else feels the way I do.

Puphigirl said...

Well, I know you have your spies. I hate to think of the stuff I did as a kid that made you cringe. But even when I tried to keep things from you, you somehow knew stuff. Darn those spies!

EmmaP said...

are you trying to make me cry today or what? i feel helpless and like there is so much to do - and yet...where do i even begin? i feel like I am supposed the be "the strong one" - As one of the oldest, i am supposed to have it "all together" - and i feel like i am failing.

i know that if i lived close by I'd be over there ALL the time (and you'd never get rest). and darn this day-job that doesn't let me call you almost everyday like i did once upon a time.

But lately I've been thinking that Heavenly Father knew my mom wasn't close by and that is why he gave me such wonderful friends and neighbors. that being said... i wish you had time to come and paint my bathroom! :)