Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mommy's Day Off

Mommies are jacks of all trades: Secretary, Laundress, Forman, Chef, House Keeper, Nurse, Accountant, Teacher, Librarian, etc. Mommies work long hours. And they are on-call 24/7. The pay is minimal and the recognition and advancement are non-existant. Mommies must work even when they are sick, they can't call off work a day. The children still need to be fed, clothed, and sent to school. The baby still needs to be changed, fed, and rocked to sleep.
So just when IS Mommy's day off? When does Mommy get to play hooky or take a day to herself? When does Mommy get to play and not be on-call for the family's needs?
I remember when I felt I wasn't appreciated or being helped enough and I went on strike for a weekend. The children were always tired of me being after them to do things around the house and I was getting tired of telling them to do things. So I took time off. Mind you I did not have little bitty children and there was no school on my strike. There was food in the house and if they wanted something extra they could go to the store.
I just got my own food and took care of my own things and watched tv. Kinda like a mini-vacation. I found out that my children did not like it a whole lot. And maybe they did move a little faster and more willingly when I was off strike and asked them to do things around the house.
I am not advocating to strike against your family... I am just saying, "Take a little time for yourselves. You cannot give from an empty well."
Be nice to yourself today and take 15 minutes just for yourself. Every 4 hours you should take a 20 minute break. Every 6 hours you should take a half an hour for yourself. There is no union but there is a sisterhood and we do need to encourage each other. Even Ferris Beuller got a day off.

4 comments:

Ruthykins said...

hey, i watched ferris bueller last night! did you watch it too? i agree with most of this post, however, i do think there is a chance of advancement. for example, this year i will be a mother to a school child and a mom with a car. see, those are different stages of motherhood that i haven't been in yet.

Puphigirl said...

I'm kind of on a sabbatical from house work because of my schooling. So, moms, go back to school to get an education if you can and it is a great excuse to get out of the house and away from the housework.

See, I talk it up nice, I won't tell you about the many pages of chapters you will have to read, the stress of taking exams and working on projects.

EmmaP said...

i need some time off... but i need to get away... too bad no money and no time off from work. oh well... not feeling so great today. maybe i will skip the dishes! woot! I know... go big!

greenolive said...

It is all so true. I don't even seem to get a full 8 hours of sleep to myself. I haven't since I was pregnant with Koen. I'm waiting for that to come back. Sometimes I think about other cultures where the whole community raises the kids. I think they are very wise.