Saturday, February 20, 2010

time

"There was a time....or once upon a time....this one time...." I am sure you have said something similar to this or maybe even these words. So what is time anyway? It is a measurable thing. I can see it on the clock and on the calendar. I can measure time used wisely and time wasted. I am surprised by hours I can waste by watching movies on tv or dvd, and how fast it flies when I am in the middle of a project.
I have stayed up all night doing sewing or painting projects. I have forgotten time when engrosses in doing things. And I have discovered that I couple time with tasks. I know that I am task oriented and like to accomplish things in a timely manner. I do this at work. I have medicine to give patients before they go to sleep and I know that I should be done with those medicines and treatments by 10:30pm at the latest. Anything later than that and I feel that I am interrupting their sleep time. When I have been delayed or interrupted in my work and it is after 10:30 then I know the rest of the night I will be behind and try to play "catch up".
At home I look at the big mess ahead of me and that is when this coupling of time and task come in handy. I say to myself "cleaning the kitchen will only take a half an hour and then it will be done". So I do the kitchen and it only takes 20 minutes because I have a dish washer and only have to do the big items by hand. Then I say " the bathroom will only take me 20 minutes", which really only takes 15 and then I am off to other rooms. See what I mean? I break each task down to the time in which I think I accomplish it. If I look at the overall picture of the mess I get overwhelmed and don't do anything. I can get it done faster if I play music. A good fast beat helps me to forget the task and hum or sing along. I like 40's and 50's music the best for this.
One thing I must mention is that I can clean it up faster by myself. If you have the children helping it will slow you down, but it is good for them to learn to clean, so add extra minutes to your alotted time.
Time will and does go by... so use it to your best advantage. In time all good things will come to pass. Time will tell. Time after time I have regretted not using my time wisely. And right now it is time I get moving and clean the house. Thank you for your time.

6 comments:

greenolive said...

Well it's about time you wrapped that up. Ha ha ha. I wish I had more time to clean my house uninterrupted by anything. Right now I don't have that at all. There is always something disrupting me and then I can't get into my groove. I play the music and I have all the kids sitting doing something, but then the baby cries, or two of them start fighting, or Brandis needs help going to the bathroom or the phone rings. Something always happens. I really wish I had two full hours a day to just clean. I also try to get the boys to help and that's really hard to keep them on task without getting totally frustrated. I can't wait until all my kids are in school and I can focus on cleaning. Maybe I'll have a dishwasher by then too. Wouldn't that be nice?

okeydokeyifine said...

Yeah, just remember when you guys were little....It seems like we were always cleaning and yet the house was always a mess. I guess it is like Grandma says, there will be a time when you will miss all the toys about. She said that one day we would be able to have a clean house. So hang in there.

Puphigirl said...

I don't mind cleaning. I just don't have to time, or I'd rather spend the time I have doing something else. My house is the cleanest leading up to having company over. I find hosting a gathering very motivating.

EmmaP said...

what naomi is saying is she's like a party all the time! lol!

i dont miss toys. oh, wait. it's cuz they're still here!

i didn't run out of time, because I still have 24 hours in a day like everyone else. but i don't stress NEARLY as much if my whole house isn't clean. I used to run myself ragged trying to keep everything in its place. Now, If I keep my front room clean and my bed made, I feel good. Keeping my dishes/kitchen clean would make me feel GREAT! but for now... I'll settle for good. Besides that is why I get paper plates! lol!

EmmaP said...

by the way... since you brought up your movies, i had a dream the other night that dad was soooooo mad at you! hahaha! He was just going on and on about how he HATES that you love to watch movies! hahahahaha!

Don't know where that came from!

okeydokeyifine said...

probably cause he hates me watching movies. No, not really