Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year, New Goals

When we visited the Mid-West Brother Huxford gave a lesson that I thought might be beneficial to others.
"Don't Keep Score"
He starts out be saying when his twins were playing T-ball his son kept score (even when T-ball doesn't keep score), In his heart and mind he "knew" if he won or lost. He was sad when his team lost and happy when his team won. On the contrast his sister did not keep score. She just played and had fun Every game. She got her turn at bat and got her turn in the field and just enjoyed the game and being with her friends. She had the better experience Each game.
Then Brother Huxford talked about his first year of marriage. He had a job and was a student, his wife had a job and was a student. One day the football game was on tv. He was on the couch watching the game and his wife was vacuumining the floor. This did not bother him much until she started to vacuum right in front of the tv. Then he said," What are you doing?" She then said, "I am sweeping the floor, what are YOU doing?" He then realized that he was just lounging about while she was doing the work. That ended the game watching. He could have said, Well I work and study this many hours while you work and study that many hours, but he realized that they were partners and that you don't keep score in a marriage. You talk about the goals and how to achieve them and what each person will add to the marriage. You would drive yourself nuts if you kept score. "Since I did this you owe me that. Or because you did this than I can do that." That may be fair and equal but it does not lead to happiness. This can also be applied to church or work or friendships.
You know that sometimes you think about the people who come late for church Every time. Or the lady in church that wears a little too much make-up, or the man who only comes once in a while to church. You can think yourself a little better than they perhaps. What about at work when you see that someone else gets recognized for their work and you think to yourself that you Know you work harder than they do. Or you find out that they make just as much or more than you do, for the less work they do. What about people who always go to someone else's party but do not show up at your house for your party? Do you invite them again, or do you erase them from your list. Keeping Score....Not the road to happiness.
A job well done by you in your home, work, church, and among your friends will lead to happiness. You give what you can and they give what they can into the relationship. Enjoy the moment, be happy with yourself and with others. That is the key. So this new year of new starts Quit Keeping Score.
HAPPY New Year.

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Good thoughts. But are you thinking about how I always come late to church? :)

Puphigirl said...

If you are keeping score, it is important to remember that men and women keep score differently.

Puphigirl said...

P.S. Kyle thinks he is winning.

EmmaP said...

if i kept score i'd lose everytime. oh well. actually, perhaps i keep score too much and realize that i am continuing to lose.. hmm.

okeydokeyifine said...

I might also mention that there are good reasons for the people to do what they do, and that is the catch. We need to allow them the freedom to have an honest to goodness reason for the lateness, the too much make-up, the inactivity, the non-motivation at work, the lounging about at home, etc. All I need to be concerned with is ME. Am I doing all I can? Am I satisfied with the work I am doing, with my contribution to my marriage, my work place, my friendships, my family? Nuff said

Ruthykins said...

i just want laurie to know that when you said how some people are always late i didn't even think about her. plus, i think she has good reasons. i need to have derek read this blog.

Kyle W Phillips said...

This sounds like loser talk. Is Sam winning? C'mon you can tell me.

greenolive said...

I agree.