Saturday, July 25, 2009

salsa

Not the dance, the chip companion.
I do not usually eat salsa but I like the Newman brand , but you can not always find it. I went to one daughter's Sock Hockey game and a lady brought home made salsa. It had corn in it and I thought I would try it. It looked quite attractive, very colorful. So I had 1 serving with chips, then a 2nd serving. Needless to say I went back for 3rds. Yes, it was that good.

Our church is having a Fiesta with a salsa contest. So I asked my daughter if her friend would part with the recipe. She did. And she did not swear me to secrecy... so I will include it in this blog.

Hubby and I went to the store and bought the supplies, then we put it all together just like the recipe said. Then we canned it like the recipe said and we had to eat a little that would not fit in the jars. Yummmmmmm. We modified the recipe because she had a double batch with 12 cups of tomatoes.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we will and I hope I at least get 2nd prize in the contest. The credit goes to Linda. Thanks Linda...What other recipes you got?

Salsa:
6 cups chopt tomatoes
1 (6oz can) tomato paste
1 1/2 cups chopt onions
3/4 cup cider vinegar (or white )
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbl salt (we only used 1 1/2 tsp because hubby shouldn't have much salt)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic chopt or pressed
3 green peppers chopt
1 (7 oz) can green chilies
1 jalapeno pepper, don't use seeds ( we added a few 'cause hubby insisted)
1 can drained corn or equivalent in frozen corn.

Simmer all on stove until desired thickness then put in pint jars and seal in water bath 15 minutes. We got 7 pints with a little extra to taste.

6 comments:

greenolive said...

I hope I get to taste some and what place did you get?

Puphigirl said...

I like the salsa at Chevy's Tex Mex restaurant. I have a copy cat recipe for that. Maybe I should make it for your fiesta.

okeydokeyifine said...

The fiesta is when you all are here and go ahead and make some if you DARE to go AGAINST your mom. BRING IT ON. hahahahahaha

EmmaP said...

i can't wait to eat it!!! do we get to take a jar home too?

Ruthykins said...

well, i tasted it. i thought it was okay. i liked the sweetness of it, but the taste of the peppers wasn't destroyed enough for my liking.

purplehaze said...

Thats different, but no cilantro? I really don't care for corn in my salsa, but glad you enjoyed it!