Monday, September 22, 2008

Pride goeth before....

Did you say "a fall". Well then you would be wrong. It is "pride goeth before destruction".

There were 4 of us watching a game show and this was the quote. We all could not believe how wrong we were. Larry looked it up and found the scripture. Yep, we were definitely wrong.

So we used that a few times as a running gag. On our last day in Hawaii we played a card game named Hearts. I had the queen of spades and all the High hearts. During the game I got several hearts and I thought I would Shoot the Moon. So I played it real coy and "bemoaned" all the hearts I received. Then I played the queen, knowing that I would get that hand. Then I played the last 5 rounds gaining all the hearts. When we finished I laughed because I thought I "stuck" them all with 26 points each. I felt so proud being all coy and everything. Then Pat says, " Larry, Didn't I give you a heart on the second round?" I was so surprised and said, "Oh, are you kidding?" Sure enough, Larry had a heart. Bummer! So then I said the quote, "pride goeth before...." We all laughed. Talk about eating humble pie...

Well, on the next round, by pure luck I got the queen and all the hearts. Since it was by dumb luck I did not have much enthusiasm for it. I felt so deflated. No delight in the winning. Hmmmm. Maybe pride doth goeth before destruction.

Anyway, we laughed and had a wonderful time even just playing games.

Moral of the story: Never too old to learn.

4 comments:

Puphigirl said...

At least it was you wanting to Shoot the Moon, and not Dad saying "To the moon, Alice" like Ralph Kramden.

purplehaze said...

Sometimes it is hard to suck it up and eat that humble pie!!!

EmmaP said...

sounds like old people fun to me! glad you ahd fun!

Ruthykins said...

what game show is this? i want to watch if they are going to be quoting scriptures. let me know.