Saturday, September 20, 2008

finally made it to Hawaii

Our friends invited us to spend a week with them in their condo on the Island of Kauai. It is the oldest of the Hawaiian Islands. We arrived on Saturday and shopped for groceries. Did you know that milk can cost up to 11 dollars a gallon? Luckily Costco is there to save the day. (More than Carson City but much better than 11 dollars. )

On sunday we went to church in Lihue. They had Ward Conference and we listened to so many good talks. At the end of the service they had a family that was moving out of their ward come to the stand. Then the congregation sang Aloha O'e to them. The words were printed in the back of the hymnal in Hawaiian. We sang along with them and all four of us had tears in our eyes, even though we did not know the family. We could feel the love that this Ward "family" had for them.

They had a ward photo taken, which they do every year, but we waited that one out. Then we listened to some more good lessons. After that we drove back to the condo for lunch. We played games in the evening.

Monday we went on a bus tour. We enjoyed the sites. "Breathtaking" is the only word I can use to describe all we saw. We had a little boat ride to the fern grotto. That cave will hold 100 people. But we did not go up to that one. We had a serenade then on the boat. And my guy did the hula and wiggled his hips and all.

Wild chickens are everywhere. They were even at the outdoor restaurant where we ate lunch.
It is against the law to kill the chickens, but if one commits suicide...

The rest of the week our friends took us to a lot of sites and shops. We went to a Luau on Tuesday evening. That was very entertaining. The host was a riot.

Our friends took us to some caves and we ventured into those. We walked on the beach.
In the evenings we watched the sunset, swam in the pool, and sat in the hot tub. Jealous?

There are flowers and trees and birds of exotic flavors. All in all I say we had a very enjoyable time. I loved it all. The only thing that would have made it better is if you all were there too, then there would be no reason to come back.

Now we are home unwinding and getting ready to jump back into reality.
Uggghhhhh.

4 comments:

EmmaP said...

My parents went to Hawaii and all I got was this lousy blog post!

Just kidding! Glad you had a good time. Sounds like loads of fun! I love Kauai. I got to go there twice when I was at school. It is where my roomie Ardis is from. I think it is the most beautiful of the islands, with the flowers and plants, and views, etc. Can't wait to see pics!

purplehaze said...

Hey glad your back even though you aren't!! Sounds like you had a great time! Unless the chicken commits suicide lol! Well hopefully I will see you on Tuesday.

greenolive said...

Let's plan the next reunion for Hawaii. What can I say, I'm a sucker for chickens.

Puphigirl said...

I would second a reunion in Hawaii as long as I don't have to
re-create the Brady's in Hawaii with the taratula.