Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mother's Day

On Mother's Day my hubby gave a talk in church. I told him he could say anything he wanted to about his dear mother but to not embarrass me. Well that is what he told the congregation to start his talk. Of course they all thought that was funny.

He told part of a conference talk about a church leader that sat with his children while his wife sang with the Singing Mothers in sacrament meeting. He said he had never been so busy in his life trying to keep the children quiet and happy. He saw his wife on the stand infront of him just smiling.

Hubby then spoke about his mother. For those of you who knew this women would agree that you can just not say enough good aboutl her. She was a wonderful woman. All her children agree. And all the in-laws agree too. As he spoke about her I teared up. He also teared up and needed to clear his throat from time to time.

Then he spoke a little about his wife. I found this very interesting and thought to myself "I would like to meet that lady". He said a bunch of nice things and I thought my 2 daughters would call time out and set the congregation straight on the mother they knew me to be. But they didn't. It is funny that I see all my faults so clearly and yet he, and hopefully the children, choose to see enough good things to out-way all the bad.

If I could be 1/10th the woman my mother-in-law was I would be a very happy woman.
Maybe some day I will grow up to be a little more like her. That is my goal.

Thanks to my spouse who is loving and kind, Thanks to my children who are loving and forgiving, Thanks to my Heaven Father who loves me and lets me repent and try again, and again.

5 comments:

purplehaze said...

Well where is the tissue!! I don't think you give yourself enough credit where credit is due. I think you see the bad as you said and not all the good in you! That was really sweet of hubby!!

Ruthykins said...

we are all our own harshest critics. i read that in a book somewhere.

EmmaP said...

it's a good thing it wasnt testimony sunday, or they would have probably gotten up to set the record straight! hahaha! just kidding! i think we just all knew that you guys did the best you could, and that you are not perfect. i learned a lot of things from my mother. i learned that i can do hard things. i learned that it's ok to have an opinion. i learned that delegation, though hard at times, can be a blessing. i learned that being patient is hard. i learned that life is tough. i learned that blessings are sweet, and that miracles are everywhere. i am learning that though things are not the way i imagined they would be 16 years ago, i have had many blessings i never would have thought possible. i learned to be in tune and learned to follow the promptings of the spirit. i learned that i can pray when in doubt, pray while in fear, pray to know more, and pray to feel loved. I learned that i can't do everything, and that sometimes, something's gotta give. i learned that my house does not have to be perfect to be a home because we have to live in our home. i learned that humor can sustain me a lot longer than without. i learned that things will always work out if you have faith. i learned that my children can teach me things too. and now i have learned that even though most days these days i am not half the mother i wish i could be, that i am not alone. these are just some of the things I learned because of what MY mother has taught me.

purplehaze said...

Emma that was really good. We do learn from our mothers they teach us a lot, more than they will ever know. Good point about learning from your children I know I have also.

greenolive said...

I feel inadequate on Mother's Day sometimes. Everyone talking about what wonderful things their mothers were and did. The flowers and the chocolates always make me feel better though. Why are we so hard on ourselves?