Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's day

Top o' the morning to you. And to all an Irish Wish. May the wind always be at your back. May the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand. And may you be in Heaven 10 minutes before the devil knows you're dead.

I was raised with the Cry of the Banshee, the blarney stone, an Irish Lullaby, and a few other Irish things. We ate potatoes as if they were a staple. Mother made cornbeef and cabbage. I thought every household had those things. I did not know they were part of my heritage.

Today I love to listen to Celtic music. Luckily my hubby likes it too. I like to say I get my dander up because I am Irish and I really looked the part when I had auburn hair. I am happy to be known as Irish, even though I am a Heinz 57. ( made up of a lot of cultures) Maybe some day I will be able to go to Ireland and feel like I am comin' home.

A wink to all my ancestors. A nod to all my descendants. And a pinch to anyone not wearing green today. (or orange if you are Orange Irish)

7 comments:

purplehaze said...

LOL I have irish also and love cornbeef and cabbage. I only get it once a year because I am the only one that likes it. It is cooking right now and smells so good. Not even my daughter likes it and she usually likes the things I do, Oh well more for me right!! I have no green, but I always tell people my eyes are green so I am safe!

Ruthykins said...

heinz 57? come on, you're what like maybe five different things? huh, i guess that does seem like a lot. i suppose you can call yourself heinz 57.

Ruthykins said...

by the way, i'm looking forward to your st swithin's day blog. i know i have four months still of waiting, but i know it will be great.

EmmaP said...

all right, i've about had it with the "orange irish". so i'd like to see a post all about it. get to it, already, will ya?

Laurie said...

Yeah, what is an orange Irish?

(Cause I'm Norwegian, dontcha know?)

greenolive said...

I had all my boys dressed in orange yesterday before I realized it was the 17th. I guess this heritage stuff runs deep.

Puphigirl said...

I dressed in green. I sent an Erin Go Bragh text to family members. Erin Go Bragh means Ireland Forever!

I too was thinking about St. Swithins and eager for his feast day.