Saturday, January 17, 2009

Getting Old

What does it mean to get older? Beats me, because you see, I am still young. I find myself still liking the bubble gum music I listened to as a teen-ager. I like the hairstyles of my era. I like the foods I liked as a teen and the old hangouts. I like the phrases and jargon.

It is quite the eye opener when I look at a picture of me back then and then look at a current photo. I have changed quite a bit. Older, fatter, more decrepid. Yet from where I stand, looking from the same eyes I had back then, sorta in my minds' eye, I am young and fit and not bad looking.

I hate to admit that I am getting older. I want to be young. Not that I want to go back in time or anything. I just want the right to think young. To like the things of yester-year. To think that I am fun-loving and cool.

So to that I will say " Hey Man, what's happening?" And answer myself with a "De Nada".
And a "In the groove, Man, In the groove".

Cool!

7 comments:

greenolive said...

Now I always thought that you liked getting older and wiser. I should have known. You know, the signs were all there, the groovy dance moves, the refusal to wear jeans, and who could forget the Bread 45's? Well Koen just told me that old people were hopeless, so I guess if there's still hope for you then you are not old.

purplehaze said...

LOL that is too funny! I hear where you are coming from. I want to be young too. It is hard for me to believe I will be turning the big 5-0. I still like the music of my youth, but I love a lot of the new stuff too! And you are still beautiful!!

Ruthykins said...

i always figured people weren't old until they had great grandkids. you've still got a few years before that. well, we'll see which of your grandkids will give you great grandkids first.

Puphigirl said...

You don't have to be complacent with the wrinkles and sagginess. They have surgeries for that now. SO, you can look as young as you feel.

Laurie said...

You ARE fun-loving and cool! You are only as old as you feel. Although, I do wish my breasts still felt 24.

EmmaP said...

i have to admit, that i am a little embarrassed for you. you're not young! just kidding! Okay - this is the perfect opportunity for me to share some of my boyfriend's lyrics with you. Yes. I am speaking about John Mayer. The song is calledm, "Stop this Train". Here are a few of my favorite phrases:

So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game
To find a way to say that life has just begun

Had a talk with my old man
Said "help me understand"
He said "turn sixty-eight
You renegotiate"

"Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
And don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train"

greenolive said...

we want more! we want more!